Dr Louisa Chou
Staff Specialist - Alfred Hospital
Academic Teaching Associate – Monash University
Medical Specialist – Cabrini Hospital
PhD Candidate – Monash University
Dr Louisa Chou is a senior staff specialist at the Alfred Hospital. Dr Chou was awarded her MBBS with Honours at Monash University and after graduating has worked in several large tertiary hospitals including Royal Melbourne Hospital, Box Hill Hospital and the Alfred Hospital. She is currently completing her PhD with Monash University and has authored 16 publications in internationally peer-reviewed journals examining low back pain, osteoarthritis, inflammatory arthritis and osteoporosis. A particular area of interest has focused on patients’ perceived needs for health information, health services and non-medical services for musculoskeletal disorders. Her research has been presented at several prestigious international and national conferences. Dr Chou is also a sub-investigator for several clinical trials for Monash University. In addition to clinical and research roles, Dr Chou enjoys teaching undergraduate medical students, postgraduate Epidemiology and Biostatistics subjects and supervises training doctors.
Dr Chou’s main interests are inflammatory arthritis, connective tissue disorders, osteoarthritis and musculoskeletal disorders. She also understands the importance of patient-centred care and strives to provide personalised care.
1. Chou L, Ranger TA, Peiris W, Cicuttini FM, Urquhart DM, Sullivan K, Seneviwickrama KL, Briggs AM, Wluka AE. (2018) “Patients' perceived needs of health-care providers for low back pain management: a systematic scoping review.” Spine J. 2018 Apr;18(4):691-711
2. Chou L, Cicuttini FM, Urquhart DM, Anthony SN, Sullivan K, Seneviwickrama M, Briggs AM, Wluka AE. (2018) “People with low back pain perceive needs for non-biomedical services in workplace, financial, social and household domains: a systematic review.” J Physiother. 2018 Apr;64(2):74-83.
3. Connelly K, Segan J, Lu A, Saini M, Cicuttini FM, Chou L, Briggs AM, Sullivan K, Seneviwickrama M, Wluka AE. (2018) “Patients’perceived health information needs in inflammatory arthritis: a systematic scoping review. Accepted for publication Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism
4. Wluka, AE, Chou L, Briggs A, Cicuttini F. (2016) Understanding the needs of consumers with musculoskeletal conditions: consumers’perceived needs of health information, health services and other non-medical services: a systematic scoping review. Melbourne: MOVE muscle, bone & joint health
5. Chou L, Ranger TA, Peiris W, Cicuttini FM, Urquhart DM, Briggs AM, Wluka AE. (2018) “Patients' perceived needs for allied health, and complementary and alternative medicines for low back pain: A systematic scoping review.” Health Expect. 2018 Jul 7
6. Chou L, Shamdasani P, Briggs AM, Cicuttini FM, Sullivan K, Seneviwickrama MD, Wluka AE (2017) “Systematic scoping review of patients’ perceived needs of health services for osteoporosis”. Osteoporosis International. Nov;28(11):3077-3098
7. Chou L, Ellis L, Papandony M, Seneviwickrama KLMD, Cicuttini FM, Sullivan K, Teichtahl AJ, Wang Y, Briggs AM, Wluka AE. (2018) Patients' perceived needs of osteoarthritis health information: A systematic scoping review. PLoS One. 2018 Apr 16;13(4):e0195489.
8. Segan JD, Briggs AM, Chou L, Connelly KL, Seneviwickrama M, Sullivan K, Cicuttini FM, Wluka AE. (2017) “Patient-perceived health service needs in inflammatory arthritis: A systematic scoping review.” Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2017 Oct 31. pii: S0049-0172(17)30321-9
9. Chou L, Briggs AM, Wluka AE (2017). “Patient-centred management of inflammatory arthritis: more than just disease control.” Med J Aust. 2017 Mar 20;206(5):196-197
10. Hussain SM, Tan MC, Stathakopoulos K, Cicuttini FM, Wang Y, Chou L, Urquhart DM, Wluka AE. (2017) “How Are Obesity and Body Composition Related to Patellar Cartilage? A Systematic Review.” J Rheumatol. 2017 Jul;44(7):1071-1082.
11. Papandony MC, Chou L, Seneviwickrama M, Cicuttini FM, LasserreK , Teichtahl A, Wang Y, Briggs AM, Wluka AE.” (2017) Patients’ perceived health service needs for osteoarthritis care: a scoping systematic review”. Osteoarthritis Cartilage Feb 21. S1063-4584(17)30867-1
12. Chou L, Brady SE, Wluka AE et al (2016). “The Association Between Obesity and Low Back Pain and Disability Is Affected by Mood Disorders, a Population-based, Cross-sectional study of Men”. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Apr;95(15):e3367.
13. Chou L, Day J, Ciciriello S. (2015) “An unusual case of tenosynovitis”. J Rheumatol. 2016 Feb;43(2):461-2
14. McBride A, Khan HI, Aitken D, Chou L, Ding C, Blizzard L, Pelletier JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Cicuttini F, Jones G (2016) “Does cartilage volume measurement or radiographic osteoarthritis at baseline independently predict ten-year cartilage volume loss?” BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016 Feb 2;17:54
15. Chou L, Khan HI, Jones G, et al. “Correlation between change in global knee structural abnormalities assessed on MRI and radiographic osteoarthritis changes over 10 years in a mid-life cohort”. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015 Nov 10
16. Khan HI, Chou L, Jones G, et al. (2015) "A family history of knee joint replacement increases the progression of knee radiographic osteoarthritis and medial tibial cartilage volume loss over 10 years”, Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 23;203-209
17. Khan HI, Chou L, Jones G, et al. (2015) "Reply letter to the editor: Knee joint replacement and individual susceptibility for progression of knee osteoarthritis and tibial cartilage volume loss: not only genes run in the family”
PHONE: 03 9700 7666
Arthritis and Rheumatology Centre