Arthritis and Rheumatology Centre
Dr Sharmayne Brady
MBBS (Hons), BMedSc (Hons), FRACP
Specialist in Rheumatology - Alfred Hospital
Specialist in Rheumatology - Box Hill Hospital
Medical Specialist - Cabrini Hospital
NHMRC PhD Scholar - Monash University
Dr Sharmayne Brady has now started consulting at the Endeavour Hills location of Arthritis and Rheumatology Centre. Bookings are now open. Please call our main rooms for an appointment, 9700 7666.
Dr Sharmayne Brady is a senior staff specialist in Rheumatology at both Alfred and Box Hill Hospitals. She is also a PhD scholar, supported by a prestigious National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Clinical Postgraduate Research Scholarship. She studied undergraduate medicine at Monash University, and finished her degree with first class honours. She completed an additional, elective, research degree in the subject of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, working with leaders in the fields of rheumatology and general medicine at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne. She trained in adult general medicine at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, and completed her rheumatology specialist training at both the Alfred and Western Hospitals in Melbourne.
Dr Brady is completing a PhD with the Alfred Rheumatology department and has published 10 papers in leading peer-reviewed journals in the fields of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, back pain and vasculitis. Dr Brady has presented her research in several leading international and national conferences over the past 10 years. Also, as a tutor in epidemiology and biostatistics with Monash University, Sharmayne has built up excellent evidence based knowledge and understanding of research methods. She is also involved with teaching and supervising medical students, physician and rheumatology trainees. This ensures that she implements only the most current and best practice in her field.
Dr Brady has interests in several areas of adult rheumatology, including rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory arthritis, osteoarthritis and connective tissue diseases as well as back pain, which are aligned with her research expertise. She has extensive experience in diagnosing and managing osteoarthritis, being a sub-investigator for several clinical trials with Monash University. Dr Brady has considerable experience in managing complex patients requiring immunosuppression, including the use of many different types of biological therapies. Her appointments in two major tertiary centres also provides a strong foundation for complex disease management.
When not at work, Sharmayne enjoys being a mother of a boisterous toddler, watching movies and spending time with family and friends.
1.Brady, S.*, Mousa, A.*, Naderpoor, N., de Courten, M.P.J., Cicuttini, F., De Courten, B. Adipsin concentrations are associated with back pain independently of adiposity in overweight or obese adults, Frontiers in Physiology, February 2018, 9: 93 . doi: 10.3389/fphys.2018.00093
2.Brady, S. R., Hussain, S. M., Brown, W. J., Heritier, S., Wang Y., Teede, H. , Urquhart, D.M., Cicuttini, F.M. Predictors of Back Pain in Middle Aged Women: Data from the Australian Longitudinal Study on Women’s Health, Arthritis Care and Research, 2017, 69(5):709-716.
3. Fairley J, Wang Y, Teichtahl AJ, Seneviwickrama M, Wluka AE, Brady S. R. E., Hussain, S. M., Liew, S, Cicuttini, F.M., Management options for femoroacetabular impingement: A systematic review of symptom and structural outcomes. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 2016, Oct; 24(10):1682-96
4. Brady, S. R. E., Hussain, S. M., Brown, W. J., Heritier, S., Billah, B., Wang Y., Teede, H. , Urquhart, D.M., Cicuttini, F.M., Relationships between weight, physical activity and back pain in young adult women, Medicine, 2016, 95(19):e3368.
5. Brady, S. R. E., Chou, L., D. M. Urquhart, A. J. Teichtahl, F. M. Cicuttini, J. A. Pasco, S. L. Brennan-Olsen, A. E. Wluka, The relationship between obesity and low back pain and disability is affected by mood disorders – A population-based, cross-sectional study of men, Medicine, 2016, 95(15):e3367.
6. Teichtahl, A., Brady, S. R. E., Urquhart, D.M., Wluka, A.E., Wang, Y., Shaw, J., Cicuttini, F.M. Statins and tendon pathology - A systematic review, Medical Journal of Australia, 2016, 204 (3): 115-121.
7. Teichtahl, A., Wlidasari, E., Brady, S. R. E., Wang, Y., Wluka, A., Ding, C., Giles, G., Cicuttini, F. A large infrapatellar fat pad protects against knee pain and lateral tibial cartilage volume loss, Arthritis Research & Therapy, 2015, 17:318-325.
8. Brady S. R. E., Mamuaya B. B., Cicuttini F, Wluka A. E., Wang Y, Hussain S. M., Urquhart D. M., Body Composition Is Associated With Multisite Lower Body Musculoskeletal Pain In a Community-based Study, Journal of Pain, 2015, 16 (8):700-706.
9. Papandony, M., Brady, S. R. E., Aw, J. Diagnostic Dilemma – Vasculitis or Fibromuscular Dysplasia? Medical Journal of Australia, 2015, 202 (2):100-102.
10. Nikpour, M., Brady, S. R. E., Liew, D. The Epidemiological and Pathogenic Association of Rheumatoid Arthritis With Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease, The Journal of Clinical Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Medicine, 2011, 2(1):1-11.
11. Brady, S. R. E., de Courten, B., Reid, C.M., Cicuttini, F.M., de Courten, M. and Liew, D. The Role of Traditional Cardiovascular Risk Factors Among Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis, The Journal of Rheumatology, 2009; 36:34–40.
Call Us: 03 9700 7666